Department of economics Post Graduate Centre of Department of Economics of the college which was established in the year 1960 is committed to impart quality based education to the students of the region. Being one of the oldest departments of this college, it has traversed a long way in course of all these years offering both undergraduate (Semester System) and post graduate courses (CBCS) and Ph. D. in Economics. The department also provides latest information and knowledge to its students to make them better citizens and to meet both national and global problems, not only in the field of Economics but in all walks of life. Our objective is to generate talents of high profile through various academic programmes to serve the corporate world and government. The best practices of the department are academic counseling, mentoring and career counseling .The strength of the department is qualified, motivated and competent faculty with a blend of high experience and young energetic dynamism. Our mission is to provide education not only to acquire knowledge but also to inculcate a sound philosophy for a holistic living. The Department of Economics has produced many of the country’s leading academicians, educators, administrators, policy makers, corporate leaders and journalists. Producing high quality, cutting-edge research is among its top priorities. Some of the distinguished personalities who gave their deliberations are from University of Rochester, USA, Alexander Lee, Principal Economist, Federal Reserve System, USA, Dr. Nitish Ranjan Sinha, from Maiden School of Business, Newyork, Dr. Chandan Jha, Former Chairman of UGC& ICSSR, New Delhi, Dr. Sukhdeo Thorat, Director and Vice-Chancellor, IGIDR, Mumbai, Prof S. Mahendra Deo, Former Director & Professor, Delhi School of Economics, New Delhi, Prof Pulin Nayak, Professor (Retd), Delhi School of Economics, New Delhi and many others.
Dr. Baikunth Roy
Department of Economics
Contact No: +91 8826465645
Ph.D. Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
M.Phil. Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
M.A. (Economics) Hyderabad Central University, Hyderabad
Areas of Academic Interests
Labour Economics, Agricultural Economics, Development Economics, International Economics, Macro-econometric Modelling.
Peer Reviewed Publications
1. “Capital Formation and Growth in Indian Agriculture”, The Indian Economic Journal, A Journal of the Indian Economic Association, Special Issue, December 2018.
2. “Temporal and Spatial Variations in Institutional Credit and its impact on Agricultural Production in India”, Journal of Economic Policy and Research, A Bi-Annual Journal of Institute of Public Enterprise, Hyderabad, Vol. 14, No. 2, April- September 2019.
3. “Growth and Instability of Agricultural Exports of India: An Empirical Analysis”, Journal of International Economics, Volume 10, No 2, July-December 2019.
4. “Agricultural Trade Policy and Export Performance: An Appraisal During Five-Year Plans of India”, The Indian Economic Journal, A Journal of the Indian Economic Association, Special Issue, December 2019.
5. “Disability Employment in India: A Regional Analysis”, International Journal of Disability and Human Development, Nova Science Publishers, New York, Vol. 19, No.1, January-June 2020.
6. “Determinants of Agricultural Exports of India: A Commodity Level Analysis”, Global Management Review, Published by Chandigarh University, Volume 7, Issue 1, July-December, 2019.
7. “Disability Divides and Employment Condition: A Comparative Analysis of India and Bihar”, Manpower Journal, National Institute of Labour Economics Research and Development (NILERD), An Autonomous Institute under NITI Aayog, Govt. of India, January-March, 2020.
8. “Assessment and Mapping of Homelessness - A Comparative Study Between India and Bihar”, The Shelter, Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO), Volume 21, No 2, October 2020.
9. “Understanding the Disability Divides in India: A Spatio-temporal Analysis with District-level Datasets”, Practices in Regional Science and Sustainable Regional Development: Experience from South Asia, Springer Nature, 2021.
Chapters in Edited Books
1. “Factors Affecting Workforce Participation Rate in Bihar: An Empirical Analysis Across districts”, Published in an edited book namely “Bihar in 21st Century”, sponsored by NABARD, 2018, Published by AMS Publications in collaboration with St. Xavier’s College of Management and Technology, Patna.
2. “Satyagrah se Swachhagrah: An Approach towards a Sustainable Future”, Mahatma Gandhi: From Holy Deeds to Unholy Death, Anu Books, New Delhi, 2020
3. “Distanced, Discriminated, and Distressed: Specially-Abled Reeling under Covid-19 Impact”, Impact of Covid-19 on Indian Economy, Shandilya Publications, New Delhi, 2020.
4. “A Comparative Study of the Homeless Population: India Vs Bihar”, Reconstructing the Indian Economy: Challenges during Covid-19 and Beyond, Writers Choice, New Delhi, 2021.
Articles in News Papers/ Online Opinion Portals
Workshops and Training Programmes
Summer Intern at “Centre for Economic and Social Studies” (CESS, Hyderabad), 2010.
Statistical Packages/ Software Familiarity: LaTex & Xfig, Windows, Proficient in Advanced Excel, STATA, R, SPSS, EVIEWS, Moodle LMS, Libre Office.
Academic Affiliations and Membership
The Indian Economic Association (IEA), India
Associate Fellow (Visiting), Impact and Policy Research Institute (IMPRI), New Delhi